I believe that travel is one of the best educations you can get. While traveling, you learn many things that just can't be taught in a classroom. You learn so much about different countries, people in general, and even yourself. I've listed the top ten things below that I've learned through my travels over the years.
1. No matter where they’re from, everyone around the world has many of the same concerns, fears, and problems. I take some comfort in that.
2. You’re never really alone, even if it feels like it. A lot of travelers are in the same position you are and are also looking for friends and to meet new people.
3. Make every second count. You don’t want to go home and regret the things you didn’t do and the places you didn’t see.
4. Learn to say “yes” more often. You may be out of your comfort zone, but try and do new things! That's how memories are made.
5. You meet some of your closest friends and make some of the most meaningful relationships while traveling. I talk to people I met when I lived in Canada a lot more often than people from my hometown. You’ll have crazy experiences and stories to bond over with people you meet while traveling.
6. You learn a lot about yourself, like what makes you tick, what you like and what you don’t like. It also teaches you to be flexible, adaptable, and incredibly independent. You learn to just go with the flow and roll with the punches.
7. If you're thinking of moving to a new country, or quitting your job to travel the world, the hardest part is making yourself leave. Everything after that is a piece of cake.
8. You learn that experiences are far more valuable than material goods. You can't take much with you when you're traveling, but you go home with far more than you left with.
9. People are good (there are exceptions though). Your faith in humanity will most likely be restored.
10. You never lose the love of traveling. It’s a blessing and a curse. I have had a lot of amazing opportunities, but now I’m never content just sitting still. I always need to be on the go!
Your turn! What is the biggest or most important thing you've learned while traveling?